Health officials confirm illness was Norovirus
Tulare County Public Health Lab has confirmed that the 51 people who fell sick after visiting the Visalia Country Club were in fact exposed to the Norovirus.
Health officials confirmed the pathogen after analyzing stool samples of symptomatic people among those who were at the club’s food facility.
County Health Department spokesperson Tammie Weyker said people reported having symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, chills,
fever, and possible dehydration.
Tulare County Public Health are concerned for those who are currently ill and want to reassure the public that the food facility is voluntarily cooperative, is closed for cleaning at this time, and is taking thorough measures to resolve the situation.
Norovirus is the most common cause of gastroenteritis, or vomiting and diarrhea. Commonly, according to the CDC, Norovirus is passed through person-to-person contact with an infected person, infected food or water, or by touching contaminated surfaces.
It is possible that illness can be spread by vomit, fecal matter, contaminated food or water; by person-to-person contact; and via aerosolization of the virus and subsequent contamination of surfaces.
To prevent the spread of the Norovirus, according to the CDC:
• Wash hands
• Clean and disinfect surfaces
• Do not prepare food when infected
• Wash laundry thoroughly as it may be contaminated with vomit or stool.
Those who are ill should make sure they are drinking fluids to keep from becoming dehydrated.